CRC  Immigration Services Ltd.

HTML basics

Study Visa

If you are not a Canadian Citizen or Permanent residence and want to study in Canada as an International student you may need a study permit and/or a visitor visa. Canada has one of the best and most respected education systems in the world. Every year, thousands of students from other countries pursue their educational goals in Canada. With new ways to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after the studies, the advantages of studying in Canada are great. There are also permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.

If you wish to take academic, professional or vocational training at a university, college or other educational institution in Canada, you will need a study permit before you enter Canada.

What you need to be eligible to study in Canada:

  • You need to provide proof of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution  
  • You need to provide proof of identity such as a valid passport or travel document
  • You need to provide proof of financial support to prove that you can support yourself while you are in Canada.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. So, you may have to provide a police certificate.

According to new rules that will reduce the potential for fraud or misuse of the program while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and improving services to genuine students which came into force on June 1, 2014. The new rules will:

  • limit the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution, including institutions that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards;
  • require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada; and
  • allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

Studying while in Canada:

All study permit holders in Canada need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

  • If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
  • Failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

Your educational institution will report to CIC on your continued 
enrollment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrollment and academic status.

Working off campus:

 Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution are:

  • Eligible to work off campus without a work permit;
  • Allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and
  • Able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

For more information to apply for Study Visacontact CRC Immigration Services Ltd.